Transplant surgeon Dr. Lewis Teperman is a member of the Medical Advisory Committee for the American Liver Foundation. The director of transplantation and vice chair of surgery for the New York University Langone Medical Center, Dr. Lewis Teperman is actively involved in transplantation research and programs, as well as the treatment of liver diseases. To assist in the fight against liver disease, the American Liver Foundation offers an assortment of donation opportunities to the public. In addition to conventional online or mail-in donations, the following options are available:
1. Honor Gifts. Honor donations can be made on behalf of a friend, family member, or colleague to support participants in the Liver Life Walk and Liver Life Challenge.
2. Memorial Gifts. Memorial donations given in memory of someone who passed away due to liver disease provide support to Liver Life Challenge participants, or sponsor a participant in the Liver Life Walk.
3. Fundraising. Individuals wishing to begin their own fundraising campaign can create an event page through the American Liver Foundation. There are three fundraiser types: honorary, memorial, and special event or occasion.
4. Stock Gifts. Stock market losses can be turned into tax deductions by selling stock at a loss and donating the funds acquired to the American Liver Foundation. Charitable deductions can then be applied to the donation, and the stock’s decrease in value is deducted from taxes owed. Consultation with financial or legal advisors is suggested prior to partaking of this opportunity.
5. Used Vehicle Donations. Used vehicles can be given as tax-deductible donations through the Drive Away Liver Disease program.
In addition, those interested in going beyond a single donation can become a part of the foundation’s Legacy Society, which is comprised of donors who either have created or intend to create a planned or deferred gift. Legacy Society members can provide charitable bequests or life insurance gifts that name the American Liver Foundation as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
Further information for donating may be found at http://www.liverfoundation.org/howtohelp.